Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Thomas Demand

Drafting Room
Thomas Demand
1996

Thomas Demand's images are fascinating to me.  Demand photographs a specific place, then reconstructs that place using objects like paper and cardboard.  His simple reconstructions are, to me, not seen first as reconstructions.  When I first glanced at his work during one of our readings in History of Photography, I did not know it was a reconstruction until I read about it.  When you look more closely you can sometimes see minor clues like tears in the paper or uneven edges in the cardboard to hint that these images aren't real places.  I like Demand's work because I enjoy creating things to be photographed.  As much as I find the beauty in things you can capture just by the world thats presented in front of you, constructing something, creating something is also a part of this process.  In photo 1 we had a project where we had to create a space and I remember enjoying the idea of taking what you see in your head and creating the world out of tangible objects.  Thomas Demand is an artist that inspires me to be more creative with perhaps some of my future work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment