Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Edward Steichen


Gloria Swanson, 1942
Edward Steichen In High Fashion; The Conde Nast Years 1923-1937 
by:William A. Ewing and Todd Brandow
Page: 57

Edward Steichen's fashion photography has an intriguing quality that caught my attention.  Although fashion photography is not something I can see myself doing, this image in particular was hard for me to ignore.  This portrait of Gloria Swanson was not only done visually beautiful, but clearly shows a part of  the actress herself.  The lace keys into the fact that this woman in the portrait was a higher rank individual.  Able to afford pricey fashions, the lace symbolizes her lifestyle.  But to me, I am more interested in the visual it has created.  Reminding me that light can travel through semi-transparent materials, it grabbed my attention because of how different this image is to other fashion photography of the time.  Even more of his images you see glamorous models and actresses wearing elegant gowns in great compositions.  This image of Gloria Swanson focused my attention more and more due to the creative way of showing fashion and social status more so than some of his other work.

No comments:

Post a Comment