Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Henri Cartier-Bresson


Salerno, Italy, 1933
Henri Cartier-Bresson; Alberto Giacometti; The Decision of the Eye
Edited by: Tobia Bezzola Page: 71

I came across Henri Cartier-Bresson's work when doing research for my Asian Art Survey paper on Raghubir Singh.  Finally looking into his work I saw the way he photographed his subject matter and couldn't help but think about the work I am doing now.  My portfolio series shows images that cuts the image into sections, similar to what is shown in this image of Salerno, Italy.  The shadows created by the architecture, as well as the architecture itself create these intense breaks in the image that allow us to view the image in sections.  Each section lead us to the next, which eventually lead us to the subject of what looks like a child.  The figure itself creates another block of shadow that can be viewed as it's own section.  To see Cartier-Bresson's work reminded me of different things to look for when continuing to shoot for this current project.    

No comments:

Post a Comment