Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Gregory Crewdson


Untitled
Gregory Crewdson

Gregory Crewdson is an artist who's work I enjoy very much.  He constructs entire scenes almost like a movie producer to produce an image that conveys his vision.  Most of what he sees in his head comes from his childhood, and this fact is part of what fascinates me about his work.  Whenever us as students get stuck we are instructed to start off with something personal, something we can grow from.  Crewdson's work is derived from his childhood memories of listening in on his father's therapy sessions and imagining the stories as they were told.  His imagination of other people's stories allowed him to create beautiful images.  My work this semester has been less personal than last years work, however working on our "Impossible Image" project allowed me to try to bring to life a dream I've had reoccurring since I was little.  A little unsatisfied with how it turned out, I felt as if as I worked I lost more and more of what my dream actually was and worked more towards completing the project.  There are many things as a child your imagination sees that everyone else may not.  To be able to successfully portray what one's mind processes is art in itself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment